Friday, June 27, 2008

The Small Irrawady




It was in March 2007, I was sitting on the tarrace of 'Bu' Pagoda by the bank of Arrawaddy River. Someone I love had been there about a week before me. I was quite sure in my mind that he would have been sit there and watch the sunset.I wonder what he would think. I wanted to know. 

I was thinking about the river. How large it would be in the olden days. Was it the same size like this? I don't think so. There would not much natural degradation in one thousand years ago. I was thinking about the legendary hero, Nyaung Oo Phee, who swam across the river several times during a day. Did he very brave or did the river so small? However, the river is getting smaller and smaller year after year. It was very different within five years period. There was less water and more polluted. How people in the downstream will be sustaining in the future.

No comments: