Thursday, July 31, 2008

Freedom and Right


I write this post because these two words had been giving me a headache ten years ago. I was thinking about weather they are different or the same. If they are different, which one we should get first?Which is more important or immediate need to us? What can contribute more for the development, freedom or right? Whenever I have to choose something, I was thing according to these two poles.

Then, it was a "Chicken or Egg" problem for me. Actually, freedom and right is different in the real world though these are conditional to each other. We don't have right to harm others welbeing or property because we have freedom. We can do anything we want or able only when we have freedom. We have freedom to create our dream but the way of creating our imagination should not harm others. We don't have the right to harm others.

When I was in middle school, I read an article about the encounter of a Headmaster of a National School and a farmer on the road. The headmaster asked the farmer, ' Why do you blocked the road, dear uncle?'. The farmer replied that 'I am heating the paddy. I can do it now because Myanmar get freedom and we own our land and can use it.' It was the first hand experience of an author but I don't remember who wrote it. The conclusion of the article was that Myanmar people does not understand the freedom yet and misused it. I did not agree to that article until 2 years ago.

When I go abroad, I used to see the words " Free Burma" everywhere. At first, it seems to be right in my mind. After a while, I started to think who should free Burma. Nobody can free Burma unless we free ourselves. Nobody has the right to take away our freedom unless we gave up. We should not fight for freedom. We need to free ourselves and need to show people how to set ourselves free.

In my opinion, a freeman is brave and vise visa. If we are asking for our freedom, I think it is like we already gave the authority to free us. Actually, no one has the right to take our freedom or set us free. We have the right to live freely. We should own ourselves. We just need to know how to live freely.

No comments: