Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Squid Story


Even an elephant can changed into the bag of bones. 


A train heading toward Kanchanaburi, near the "River Kwe Bridge", Thailand.

There is something embedded in my heart whenever I see a squid. It has been a thorn of bereft since two years ago. It was a day in December 2006, I was walking on a busy street of Bangkok with one of my friend. My mind was strayed on the steps of so many people passing by. I remember that I have not had dinner yet and it was nearly 11:30 P.M. My friend suggested me to look for a little shop to eat something. I was gazing the endless stream of people buzzing and having fun around me, with absence minded look. I just got out of the conversation with anger and remorse. My classmate and I were disagreed about inequality of sharing in my country. He said it was unfair because the development in his state was so poor. I replied asking him how he wanted to improve his state alone when the whole country is under distressed and poverty. His face changed into red and go out from the class. I felt sorry for losing a good friend.
My friend, Rock, said that I have to be brave enough to go back and talk with him again. I have to make up my mind. He suggested me to sit down somewhere and think it over how to be friend with him tomorrow. What should I do? Finally, I decided to go into a small, dark restaurant at the corner of a street. I think it was a Thai noodle shop.
A thin, pale looked waiter came to us and cleared the table. At that time, Rock dropped the cup of water while he was handing them to him. I exclaimed in Burmese. The waiter asked me with a glad smile weather I came from Myanmar. He introduced himself briefly that he is a Shan man came from Kyauk Mae since he was 14 and he was 24 years old now working three part-time jobs a day. I simply asked him what should I order at that time, nearly mid-night. He told me order the noodle dish with squid saying that in Thai pointing at its picture. The honest explanation he gave me made me sad until now.
He said, " I would like to suggest you the boiled noodle with squid because it is very delicious and you might not have seen that fish in our country. It is here only in Thailand. There is not that kind of fish in our country. You should try it." I just did not know how to reply him. What I knew at that time was that the fish exporters in our country were speculating about the exchange rate appreciation of baht that was sourced in Thai politic. Tons of squid and fishes were exported into Thailand. It is plenty in my place. But how a man from my country has not seen it? It is the distribution problem. I think, is it ignorant of people who have not seen a squid which his country has abundant? I think, it is absolutely not. It is just one of the missing bricks in the community. The supply chain was poorly constructed that the disparity constructs mistrust and misunderstanding for a long time between ethnics. The flow of goods, ideas and love in the country is stagnated. The result is that we could not sympathize each other. Lack of contact, understanding and collaboration set us far apart.
Whenever I see the squid which is my favorite, I remembered him, the pale waiter. I used to think about the flow of resources in my poor country and disparity. It is just a symptom of the disease of ill-treated country that is nearly dying. How to survive from it? It just depends on us. Where is the solution? If we closed our mind and heart, it is nowhere else. That is the feeling I got when I took the picture above.

No comments: